International Student Admission Process
Kansas Christian College welcomes international students who seek to be trained and equipped for effective Christian service.
Please note the following requirements:
- The prospective college student must have completed twelve years of primary and secondary school prior to admission.
- The process for securing a student visa can be complicated and time-consuming. Prospective students should plan to have their applications in to KCC several months in advance. We recommend that international students begin classes at the beginning of the KCC academic year in August.
Procedure for Admission as an International Student
The prospective international student may apply for admission online by following instructions for admission on the KCC website. Additional requirements specific to international students are as follows:
- On the application form, provide contact information for three individuals who can provide character references for you. These should be individuals such as former teachers, pastors, coaches, job supervisors, or others who have held a position of authority over you. References from persons related to you will not be accepted.
- All incoming international students at Kansas Christian College whose native language is not English must present proof of English proficiency. (See section below regarding English proficiency.)
- The prospective student will be sent an Affidavit of Support (I-134) form and a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20) information form. The student must complete the I-20 information form, and the student or a sponsor must complete the Affidavit of Support, which validates sufficient financial resources for the student’s expenses. (The approximate cost for each year of college, which includes room, meals, tuition and fees, is $13,000 to $15,000. Textbooks, private music lesson fees, and athletic fees are not included in this cost.) This amount is due upon enrollment.
- The prospective student will submit a non-refundable application fee of $200.00.
- KCC requires official high school transcripts for entrance. The foreign transcripts must be evaluated by KCC’s approved credential evaluation service, to determine that the documents are valid and comparable to United States standards. If a student wishes to transfer credits from a foreign college, those transcripts must also be evaluated. There is a fee for the evaluation and this is the responsibility of the student.
- Upon the college’s approval of the student for study, an I-20 is issued to the student.
- The student must apply for a student visa from the nearest United States embassy. At that time, the embassy will advise the student concerning the requirements and regulations for study in the United States. The student should carefully read the section regarding English Proficiency below and complete all requirements listed.
International students whose native language is not English must submit proof of English language proficiency. Test score reports must be official, come directly from the testing service, and be submitted at least thirty days before classes begin for the semester. The scores must be less than two years old. The language proficiency requirement can be satisfied in the following ways:
- TOEFL: A minimum TOEFL score of 70 on the Internet-based TOEFL or 530 on the paper exam, OR
- IELTS: A minimum IELTS score of 6.0 on the academic test, OR
- SAT: a score of 500 or higher on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section, OR
- ACT: Score of 18 or higher on the English section, OR
- A transcript from an accredited US college or university documenting the completion of the equivalent of KCC’s English Composition I with a grade of C or better, OR
- A transcript from an accredited US college or university documenting the completion of a minimum of twelve transferable credit hours of non-ESL courses with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, OR
- A transcript from a US high school documenting graduation and attendance for at least three years.
- International students may be conditionally admitted with the following test scores:
- TOEFL: A minimum TOEFL score of 60 on the Internet-based TOEFL or 500 on the paper exam
- IELTS: A minimum IELTS score of 5.5 on the academic test
Students who fail to meet these thresholds may address an appeal to the vice president of admissions for presentation to the Administrative Committee, requesting conditional admittance.
Students will remain in conditional status until they attain the minimum language proficiency requirement. Such students will be required to enroll in ESL courses and participate in regular on-campus testing.
KCC will still classify conditionally-admitted students as undergraduate students in their requested major preferences, but many academic courses will be closed to them with the exception of language-nonintensive courses, such as private music lessons.This will, of necessity, prolong their time to completion of the program.
These students are encouraged to live on campus in the residence halls with other KCC students, and they will have full access to KCC facilities and support services.
International students admitted to KCC must take responsibility to improve their English. If students are unable to achieve minimum test scores by the end of their second semester at KCC, they will not be permitted to continue their studies here.
Use the Contact Form on this Page for more information on International Students Applications